A Hollywood insider who watched 100 movies in 100 days to beat his alcohol addiction leads us on an eye-opening, entertaining, inspirational, and frequently hilarious behind-the-scenes exploration of the best (and worst) movies ever made about addiction and recovery, and what they can teach us about living a happier, healthier, more balanced life.
This book is a must-have if you or anyone you know has been touched by addictive problems. It's filled with enlightening stories about powerful films that could become a turning point for people.
Dr. Tom Horvath
Co-Founder SMART Recovery
Author "Sex, Drugs, Gambling & Chocolate"
Read Dr. Horvath's Review of the book
Perkins has produced a literary work that is a wonderful melange of intriguing movie plots, personal vignettes, and a fun collection of Inside Hollywood revelations. It is an engrossing read and an encyclopedic review of alcohol and substance abuse issues that are important to discuss. I will be binge-watching most of these films!
Joe Gerstein, MD, FACP; Harvard Medical School Faculty (Ret.)
Co-Founder of SMART Recovery
Ted Perkins is a person for whom films have deep personal meanings. Ted also has deep feelings about addiction. In his marvelous book, he combines these meaningful parts of his life for the benefit of those who seek meaning in their own lives,
whether addicted themselves or not.
Stanton Peele, Ph.D
Author "Love & Addiction"
Here is an excellent, moving book on addiction recovery to read and share. Ted Perkins uses stories in movies about addictions as a vehicle to understand the complexities, heartbreak, and horror of addictions while leading us to real hope of radical transformation. His own life story is a dramatic example of recovery and its redemptive power.
President of the American Humanist Association (Ret.)
ADVANCED PRAISE for ADDICTED IN FILM
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Ted Perkins is a former Universal Pictures and Warner Bros. Studio executive and successful Hollywood producer and screenwriter turned addiction and recovery YouTube personality who has helped thousands of participants on their recovery journey through his blogs, videos and weekly SMART Recovery meetings.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
TRAIN WRECKS: Drug & Alcohol Abuse On the Big (and Small) Screen
- Alcohol Abuse's Cinematic Universe Origin Story: THE LOST WEEKEND
- Death as a Life Choice: LEAVING LAS VEGAS
- The Great Danish Alcohol Experiment: ANOTHER ROUND
- Be Very Cautious With Cautionary Tales: REEFER MADNESS...TRAINSPOTTING...REQUIEM FOR A DREAM
- God it's Tough Being a Supermodel: GIA
- Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Country Stars: CRAZY HEART...A STAR IS BORN
- Evil Incarnate: Purdue Pharma & Oxycontin: DOPESICK
- Parenthood is the Scariest 'Hood of All: FOUR GOOD DAYS...BEAUTIFUL BOY
- Addiction as a Ménage à Trois: DAYS OF WINE & ROSES...WHEN A MAN LOVES A WOMAN
HOPEFULLY NOT DEADLY, FREQUENTLY PROBLEMATIC: Other Addictions That Cause Chaos
- The Good, The Bad & The Downright Yucky of Sex Addiction: A DIRTY SHAME...BOY ERASED...SHAME
- Luck as the Ultimate Jedi Mind Trick: THE GAMBLER...UNCUT GEMS
- Do I Look Too Fat in this Eating Disorder?: FATSO
- Almost Nailed It! Addiction to Perfection: BLACK SWAN...WHIPLASH
- Cigarettes Are Funny and Chocolate is Satanic: COLD TURKEY...CHOCOLAT
THEY TRIED TO MAKE ME GO TO REHAB: Fantasy vs. Reality In and Out of Treatment
- Seriously, I Can Stop Anytime I Want: CLEAN & SOBER
- I Nailed Rehab; Now What Hell Am I Supposed to Do?: RECOVERY BOYS
- Rehab as a Luxury Staycation: 28 DAYS
- Star-Studded Sexual Sobriety: THANKS FOR SHARING
IV: FINAL THOUGHTS